Selling their innovative ideas about how to do business differently, three finalists presented to an esteemed judging panel at a central London venue, which included Trevor Baylis OBE, inventor of the wind-up radio, and John Illman, former chairman of the Medical Journalists Association.
Chosen for its potential to benefit people suffering from a wide range of illnesses, Lorna Lou Ltd battled against two other small businesses, ABeterno Ltd, a biotech company that has developed a revolutionary way to isolate cancer cells, and Guess2Give, a world first that makes raising money for UK charities more fun by introducing a sweepstake element for everyone who takes part.
The finalists had been selected by public vote from a shortlist of 10 to enter the final stage of the competition.
Perks will receive business advice from Kingston Smith, one of the UK’s top 20 accountancy firms; communications support from Orange; expert marketing consultancy from Publicis Chemistry, legal advice from Lewis Silkin, a firm ofsolicitors specialising in corporate and commercial law, and mentoring from entrepreneurial guru, Mike Southon, who will also work with the two other finalists.
Speaking about the win Perks said “Winning the competition is such a huge opportunity for me and my business and I’m thrilled to have been selected by Orange as the winner of its Different Business Competition. One of the most daunting things about starting out as a new company is not knowing who you can turn to if you need advice, and that’s what’s so great about this competition – it will not only give me the kit I need to succeed, but also the skills and knowledge.”
The judging panel also included Nigel Jones, Chairman & CEO Publicis Group UK; Maureen Penfold, Partner of Kingston Smith LLP; and Spencer McHugh, Brand Director at Everything Everywhere. The ten finalists were shortlisted by the judging panel, the ten finalists included:
- ABeterno Ltd is a biotech company that has developed a revolutionary way to isolate cancer cells
- Guess2Give is a world first that makes raising money for UK charities more fun by introducing a sweepstake element for everyone who takes part
- Lick me I’m delicious is an events company specialising in liquid nitrogen ice creams and frozen creations
- Lorna Lou Ltd has invented a Pillpod that helps seriously ill patients to take the medication correctly, safely and on time
- Mocean Europe Ltd creates organic surf apparel and board wax, as well as high-performance surf boards from recyclable foam with innovative impact resistant and eco friendly materials
- Montague Healthcare is a medical company that is pioneering Virtual Scanning, a diagnostic and therapeutic technology based on the light emitting properties of proteins
- Pit Stop Tyre Check have come up with unique portable equipment to offer motorists tyre inflation and safety services at supermarkets
- Profinda helps companies to make better use of their workforce’s skills by digitising staff expertise and creating an internal matching system
- SeNd Technology Ltd has invented a monitoring device that lets people keep a discreet eye on the wellbeing of their elderly or vulnerable friends or family members
- Standby Solutions has come up with a novel way of reducing electrical consumption caused by household devices usually left on standby