Leader : Caroline Lucas
Deputy Leader: Adrian Ramsay
- Regulate the financial sector more strictly, preferably at
the international or EU level, but if necessary just in the UK. In
particular, separate retail from investment banking.
new institutions like a green investment bank and local community banks
in the financial sector, and new ways of investing in the green
economy, such as green national savings bonds.
- Make the special tax on bankers’ bonuses permanent.
- No one in one of the wholly or partly state-owned banks should get a bonus of more than £25,000.
- Crack down on tax havens and other methods of tax evasion and avoidance.
- Press for a transparent international accounting standard
that requires companies to report on a country-by-country basis so that
their profits can be located and taxed.
- Abolish the upper limit for National Insurance contributions.
- Raise the lower National Insurance limit to the
personal allowance rate (which is £6,475 a year, or £124.52 a week).
- Reintroduce the 10% tax band and the 22p basic rate.
the main rate of Corporation Tax from 28% back to 30% and reduce the
small firms rate back to 20%, altogether raising £1.4bn.
- Raise the Capital Gains Tax rate from 18% to the recipient’s highest income tax rate (that is 22%, 40% or 50%), raising £1bn.